Monday, January 31, 2011

What was the Enron Scandal?

In my BPA 140 class today, my teacher mentioned the Enron scandal.  I wanted to research and I find out what happened.

The first thing I did was look up "Enron scandal" in the google.com search bar.  I skipped the wikipedia link, and went straight to the one from www.time.com  It gives several articles on everything behind the Enron scandal.

http://www.time.com/time/2002/enron/#

After skipping through a couple more links, I found BBC News, who summarizes the whole scandal.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/1780075.stm

Apparently in just 15 years Enron grew to be America's seventh largest company.  But the firm's success turned out to be an elaborate scam.  Enron lied about its profits.  It wasn't til an employee finally decided to be a whistleblower, only after addressing the CEO a couple of times about the lies.  When the deception unfolded, it forced the firm into bankruptcy.

This was pretty interesting.  Definitely something to keep in mind when thinking about Business Ethics.  

No comments:

Post a Comment