Saturday, March 26, 2011

The Reaction to Television in it's Early Days -- 1920-1941

In my English class, I have to write a paper about the reactions to television when it was first introduced, during WWI.  Since I already have to do some research on this subject, I decided I would make a note of my research for my second blog topic for the night.

So... what were the reactions of society when television was first introduced?

I began my research on google's website.  I typed, "reactions to television in its early days" in the search bar.

This yielded me a good 46,000,000 results, plus some.

After going through 5 pages of the Gooooogle results, I decided to revise my search a bit.

My next search read "Televisions introduction and society's reaction"

This didn't help much either, so I thought hard on another way to revise my search.

I tried this search next... "television first introduced and the public reaction"

I did find a timeline of the introduction of television to different countries, but nothing that seemed to come close to answering my question.

Once again, I revised my search.  This time, I tried... "how people reacted to the invention of television"

One link, I found, did give some useful information.

http://www.inventionreaction.com/famous-inventions/Television-Set

I now have a better knowledge of the invention of the television.

This link also gave about an equally good amount of information about the timeline of the invention of the television.

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/invention-of-television.html

I decided to tweak the current search I had.  It now says " "reactions" to the invention of television "

I ended up finding a link where someone was given a similar question for an assignment.

http://theordinarywebsite.com/snapshots/html/1900_39.htm

When the student asked their grandmother how she reacted when seeing a television for the first time, this was her response....
She was amazed by it. When she first saw a TV, it was in the front window display of a store. On the screen, there was a green background and fizzy images of people jumping up and down. When she got her first TV, the picture was clearer but it only got about three channels.

This was a good start for the research for my paper.  I at least have one good reaction so far, and a lot of good information gathered about the invention of the television and a timeline of its evolution.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your post, it's very well done and I like the humor too.

    ReplyDelete