Saturday, March 5, 2011

Digital Privacy vs. Anonymity

Since I don't know much about the topic assigned this week, I just decided to ask the question "What is the difference between Digital Privacy and Anonymity?"

The first thing I did to begin my research was type this search into the google search bar... "difference between digital privacy and anonymity"

The first result sparks my interest so I click on it

http://www.alphapatrol.com/blog/52/anonymity-vs-privacy.html

This blog archive says that each of these are quite different.  This link gives the definition of both items searched.

Definitions say:
Anonymity is a condition in which an individual’s true identity is unknown.
Privacy is the state of not being seen by others.
So the difference is that your anonymous browsing doesn't have to be private.

In other words, anonymity protects your identity but does not protect your private data, if you expose them.
 I clicked on a couple of other links listed none of them gave as much good information.

These were the other links that I explored:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2007/jun/14/guardianweeklytechnologysection

http://www.niksula.hut.fi/~eklund/Opinnot/netsec.html

These links became useless.


So I learn from Alpha Patrol all that I need to answer my question.

so when you you are on the internet communicating anonymously, but you do not encrypt your data on your machine, it can be readable on exit point, and that means that your privacy will be compromised.

No comments:

Post a Comment