Thursday, February 24, 2011

Smartphone Technology

I own a smartphone, and I know from experience that once you have one you won't want anything different.  When my teacher said that the topic for this week's blog post was smartphone technology, I got pretty excited.  Who wouldn't like to know a little more about the smart-phone's technology? But what I thought people would like to know better is.. How is a smartphone's technology different from any other phone?
 
I began my research the usual way.
I went to google.com and typed in the search bar "smartphone technology vs. any other phone"

Although I thought this search would be a little more successful, it gave me many results on different smartphone's vs. specific others and several other useless links.

Lets revise our search to "cutting edge technology in smartphones"

This gave a bit better results.

I put this link in a tab first

http://emergingfactor.com/technology/evolution-of-smartphones-led-by-cutting-edge-display-technologies/

Which wasn't what I was looking for, so I moved on with my search.


The next link I click on wasn't any better, and gave even less information.

http://cetechnology.net/tag/smartphones/


So I decided to revise my search once again.  This time I searched "how are smartphones different from other phones"

AND about 4 links down I find a promising result.

http://cellphones.about.com/od/smartphonebasics/a/what_is_smart.htm

In a nutshell, a smartphone is a device that lets you make telephone calls, but also adds in features that you might find on a personal digital assistant or a computer.
Now that you know better what a smartphone is, how did it evolve to what it is?

In the beginning, there were cell phones and personal digital assistants (or PDAs). Cell phones were used for making calls--and not much else--while PDAs, like the Palm Pilot, were used as personal, portable organizers. A PDA could store your contact info and a to-do list, and could sync with your computer. Eventually, PDAs gained wireless connectivity and were able to send and receive e-mail. Cell phones, meanwhile, gained messaging capabilities, too. PDAs then added cellular phone features, while cell phones added more PDA-like (and even computer-like) features. The result was the smartphone.
A smartphone has an operating system similar to that on your computer, it holds software and has web access, and is still able to do messaging to and from different phones and through email.  So to sum it up, when you get a smartphone it isn't just a cell phone, it is a mini laptop that can be used to help you be more productive in slim, compact way

No comments:

Post a Comment