Saturday, February 5, 2011

Whatever happened to Shirley Temple?

While watching television a commercial comes on about Shirley Temple.  They show all those cute clips of Shirley as a child star.  And I have yet to see anything else of her.  So as I wondered what happened to Shirley Temple, I made my decision to do my research on just that.

Choosing my favorite search engine once again.. I typed in the google search bar, "Whatever happened to Shirley Temple?"

My very first search result is verbatim http://ask.yahoo.com/20010809.html from ask.yahoo.com 

And wouldn't you know it, this link gave me all the information I needed to answer my question.


As Shirley Temple grew older her films became less successful so she was happy to go to high school and live a normal life.
In 1945, Shirley married actor John Agar, and they had a daughter in 1948. She continued to make films sporadically, but in 1949, she retired from the big screen at the age of 21. In the same year, Shirley and John Agar divorced. In 1950, she met entrepreneur Charles Alden Black, and they later married and had two children in the early 1950s.
And this site also gave a list of her adult accomplishments:
  • From 1958-1961, she hosted children's TV shows and appeared in TV movies for children.
  • In 1969, she was a United States Delegate to the United Nations.
  • In 1972, she was diagnosed with breast cancer. She eventually went public with the disease to encourage breast cancer screening for women.
  • From 1974-1976, she was the U.S. Ambassador to the Republic of Ghana.
  • In 1976, she became the first female U.S. Chief of Protocol.
  • From 1989-1993, she was the U.S. Ambassador to Czechoslovakia, which became the Czech and Slovak Federal Republic during her term.
  • In 1998, she received a lifetime achievement medal at the Kennedy Center Honors.
I admire her.
 

This former child star is now in her 70's and lives with her husband in California.  She is also involved in various world policy organizations. 

No comments:

Post a Comment